About First United Methodist Church
Our church has been part of Blair since 1869. We've been on the same corner, 17th and Colfax, since the beginning. We're now in our third building and have put on two additions.
We're glad you want to know more about our church. Here are a few things we hope will be helpful and informative to you.
In the early pioneer days of 1856, the first Methodist minister, Reverend Collins, was sent to eastern Nebraska to preach the Gospel to the early settlers. At that time, Cuming City to the north and DeSoto to the south of Blair were thriving little towns. The railroad chose to cross the Missouri River right between the two, thus helping create the new town of Blair. Cuming City and DeSoto residents began to move to Blair.
The Methodist Church building from Cuming City was being moved to Blair by rail. From the Railroad station, the building was moved to the lot where all three of our churches have stood since. With the moving expenses, additions and furnishing expenses, the congregation spent about $4,000. The number of members was 40 persons.
This original church was used by the Methodists until 1883, when it was sold to the Christian Church and moved to their present site. The building was later destroyed by fire.
The new 1883 building cost $7,000 and boasted a tall spire and belfry that later, weakened by age and wind, was taken down when the church was remodeled in 1931. The bell that stands outside our church today was original to that 1883 church.
On August 15, 1951 the first services were held in our present church building, which was built at a cost of $160,000. The growth of the church has been steady and consistent with the growth of the community.
We have now built two additions. One, to the east, which includes an elevator, offices, handicap accessible bathrooms, and a youth room. The second, to the north, is a new kitchen. There is also hard surface parking to the east and north. The cost for these additions and paving was approximately $1,000,000.